Marketing Our Awesome Businesses! (MOAB!) Tourism Grant
Applications for 2022 are now closed.
What's required to apply for the MOAB! Tourism Grant?
- Commitment to County Advertising Ordinance - while projects do not necessarily need to promote messages like Grand County's Responsible Recreation or Leave No Trace principles, grant projects cannot violate Grand County's Advertising and Promotion Ordinance (review Resolution No. 3248 in the "Resources for Applicants" section)
- Commitment to Marketing Scope - projects for the MOAB! Tourism Grant must only market to visitors already in the Moab area and NOT to prospective travelers
- Completed grant application - click above this menu to begin the application and budget process
- Construction Quotes - IF your project proposes construction or significant physical infrastructure modifications, construction quotes for your project must accompany your project application
- Consultation with our SBDC - all organizations will need to schedule a free meeting with local Small Business Development Center representatives to coordinate application assistance and learn about other available resources; schedule your meeting today
- Profit and Loss (P&L) statements for 2021, 2020, and 2019 - if your organization was not operating during one or more of these years, please provide 1) any P&L statements available and 2) a projection or record of your organization's start-up costs; click here for a P&L template
- Project Budget - this should include all required and potential costs, your match contribution amount (based on your funding ask) and match sources, and a brief description of all cost and match items; the budget template is provided during the application process found above
- State of Utah Articles of Incorporation Number - if your organization has not renewed its state incorporation number at application submission, your organization will not be considered for the MOAB! Tourism Grant @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Due to the anticipated volume of applications for this grant, Grand County Economic Development recommends detailing specific aspects of the project in the required project budget. By listing a number of detailed objectives in the required budget, evaluators will be able to consider partial funding for a project should the requested sum not be available.
Applications are due by the end of the day on July 31st, 2022.
Grand County Economic Development seeks to fund organizations, programs, and projects that support business retention and expansion in Grand County. Grand County Economic Development specifically aims to bolster the marketing abilities of small, locally-owned businesses within Grand County’s tourism sector so as to support the diversity of businesses within our region. Businesses awarded these funds will be required to limit their marketing to visitors already in the Moab area.
Grand County Economic Development aims to support projects that boost the visibility of small, locally-owned tourism businesses and/or their services. Provided with free capital, small businesses should be able to market their services to visiting tourists in the Grand County area. Resulting increased profits can contribute to the diversity of tourism-related businesses in Grand County.
Why market tourism?
Need to market but don't know where to start? Check out this marketing brainstorming guide assembled by USU's SPARC team!
Examples of Applicable Projects
- Collaborating with other local businesses to create "all-inclusive" guest packages
- Creating promo codes, coupons, and other deals to help move your products or services
- Marketing in our area to reach a greater number of guests
- Purchasing "swag," giveaways, etc. for guests visiting or patronizing your business
- Working with local artists to produce new design materials or branding for your business @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Grand County Economic Development encourages applicants to propose imaginative and innovative projects that do not necessarily align with the above list of examples.
Resources for Applicants
- Brainstorm how to best market your services with this short guide created by USU's SPARC team
- Data that Grand County Economic Development uses to understand visitation to Moab
- DRAFT your application responses before filling out the actual form
- Financial assumptions are crucial for proprietors who have yet to assemble financial projections
- Grand County Resolution No. 3248 (County Advertising and Promotion Ordinance)
- Grant one-pager - share this with your friends to help us spread the word!
- Grant proposal as approved by the Grand County Commission on April 19th, 2022
- Information on Required Grant Match
- List of typical business expenses in a basic spreadsheet template (encouraged for those reporting start-up costs)
- Listen to Economic Development Director August Granath discuss this grant on KZMU
- Profit and Loss (P&L) Statement template
- REGISTER for your free SBDC counseling appointment - this is required
- Search your organization to ensure your business status is "Active" before applying
- Watch our how-to apply webinar @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>