About the Travel CouncilIt is the Travel Council’s responsibility to promote and encourage local tourism to help broaden and strengthen the county’s economic base. The Travel Council seeks to accomplish this through promotion supporting recreation, tourism, and conventions in a manner that protects the beauty and scenery of our natural environment.
The objective is not to increase the number of visitors coming to Moab, but to reach out to markets with higher end demographics to attract fewer, but higher spending, visitors. We also strive to change perceived weaknesses into strengths and increase the revenue received.
FunctionsThe functions of the office are activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Answer all visitor information calls for the Moab Information Center (12,000 calls annually).
- In-house graphic design of all collateral and advertising, eliminating the expense of outside design firms.
- Creation of educational videos that include the promotion of responsible recreation, Leave No Trace ethics, Sustainability and Accessibility. The Travel Council is a member of the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics and the Global Sustainable Tourism Council. (In addition to online exposure, many of the videos were also played in local hotels until funding was cut by COVID-19.)
- Work with local public land agencies (BLM, National Park Service, State School & Institutional Trust Lands Administration and the Forest Service) to develop accurate and consistent minimum impact messaging for all content.
- Moab Area Travel Council Advisory Board - The Moab Area Travel Council Advisory Board is composed of seven voting members. (Voting members must be Grand County residents and represent tourism related industries.) The Moab Area Travel Council Advisory Board provides recommendations concerning the promotion and creation of recreation, tourism and conventions in Grand County for consideration by the Grand County Commissioners. The board develops and submits a recommended marketing budget and plan to the Grand County Commissioners. Public meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month, with the exception of July.
- Work with Host Compliance to confirm legal business licenses for overnight rentals.
- Validate businesses that pay TRT and TRCC.
- Special Events - The Travel Council works with event planners to determine date availability and process all Special Event Applications. Applications are reviewed by the Special Event Committee and circulated to other Grand County departments for comments or concerns before the event is permitted.
- Promote Sustainability by stressing the importance of conservation, recycling and green energy in preserving our unique environment.
- Provide half of the annual operating budget of the Moab to Monument Valley Film Commission.
- As a service to downtown businesses, the Travel Council provides funds to keep the restrooms at the Moab Information Center (MIC) open evenings, when the main information center is closed.
- Partner with local businesses to produce written and video content to help promote their business.
- Content and media distribution to media outlets.
- In-house website development and design (discovermoab.com & doitlikeamoablocal.com), eliminating the expense of outside design firms.
- Creation and distribution of visitor collateral (20,000+ requests annually).
- Continued support for "Throttle Down in Town" campaign. Educational UTV posters and brochures are created and offered to all businesses with Throttle Down messaging. Yard signs are distributed to local residents and businesses free of charge.
- Event Advertising Grant Program
- To provide visibility for local businesses and services, the Travel Council occasionally hosts Familiarization Tours (FAM Tours) for national and global journalists, media representatives and tour operators. Participation in a FAM Tour is a great way for local businesses to promote their business to travel industry professionals.
- Management of Travel Council Leads Program to help local businesses that cannot afford to advertise on their own. Businesses can take advantage of the Travel Council's advertising and receive inexpensive weekly leads.
- Promotion of event venues and possibilities.
- Social media strategic planning, content development and management.
- Accessibility - The Travel Council is committed to making Moab a destination where life's big adventures are accessible to everyone. We work with the National Ability Center to produce videos featuring individuals with special needs enjoying Moab.
- COVID-19 Response: Secured over 200,000 masks from the Governor's Office of Economic Development for distribution in Moab. Monitored complaints from residents about unauthorized overnight rentals. Rented hand washing stations for Moab. Responded to thousands of visitor phone calls and emails relating to COVID-19.
- Trade show attendance.
- Other specialty projects as time allows.
- Discovermoab.com receives over 3 million visitors each year and is the number one website on Google for the Moab area.
- Our social media reach is equally as broad with over 73,000 followers on our Facebook page alone.
- Our office also answers over 12,000 yearly visitor information calls from the Moab Information Center.
- We handle nearly 20,000 Travel Guide requests each year.
- Educate about being a good steward of the environment and a responsible visitor when in Moab.
- Promote Sustainability.
- Promote Accessibility.
- Reach out to markets with high end demographics to attract fewer, but higher spending, visitors.
Free Marketing Opportunities for Local Businesses
Get A Free Business Listing
Certain tourism related businesses in Grand County (Lodging Properties, Property Management Companies, Campgrounds, Guides & Outfitters, Transportation, Rentals & Restaurants) may be entitled to a free business listing on discovermoab.com and more. Be part of:
- 20,000+ Travel Guides distributed annually
- 200,000+ Web Links to local businesses annually
- 3,000,000+ Visitors to discovermoab.com annually
To participate, visit: discovermoab.com/listing
Get A Free Partner Pixel
Consumers research 40+ websites when planning their trip. In order to track the entire impact of The Travel Council’s digital campaign efforts, they are asking local businesses, who are interested, to add a “Partner Pixel” (tiny snippet of code) to their website. You can help the Travel Council adjust their marketing to maximize visitors to your website! Please note that this pixel does not track any propriety data. It only lets the Travel Council know that their marketing is resulting in visits to your website.
To participate, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Featured on DoItLikeAMoabLocal.com
“Do It Like A Moab Local” is a new sustainable tourism effort for Moab that is the direct result of Moab locals’ desire to convey that Moab isn’t just a tourist destination, it’s our home. Help educate visitors on proper behavior, etiquette, and stewardship of the environment while they’re here – staying on trails, obeying speed limits through town, properly preparing for their trips or hikes in the desert, proper disposal of human waste, and much more. Being part of the “Do It Like A Moab Local” effort is another great free way to promote your business.
Outgoing Links from discovermoab.com to Moab Business Websites
2020 Visitor Phone Calls Answered
Number of Individual Travel Planners Mailed
Discovermoab.com Unique Web Visits
Top Pages Visited on discovermoab.com in 2019
Top Pages Visited on discovermoab.com in 2020