Moab UMTRA Project
Moab UMTRA Project
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has moved more than 70% of the estimated 16 million tons of uranium tailings from the banks of the Colorado River, near the city of Moab, to a permanent disposal site 32 miles north, near Crescent Junction. This project is called the Moab Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action (UMTRA) Project.
Project Site Location
The Moab Tailings Project Site is located in northern Moab Valley northwest of Moab in Grand County, Utah, and includes the former Atlas Minerals Corporation (Atlas) uranium-ore processing facility. The site is situated on the west bank of the Colorado River at the confluence with Moab Wash. The site encompasses about 480 acres, of which approximately 130 acres is covered by the uranium mill tailings pile.
Moab Tailings Project Steering Committee Agendas and Minutes
To view meeting agendas and minutes for the steering committee, go to Agendas & Minutes link in the County Commission section under Your Government on this website. For recent agendas and the most recent minutes, see below.
10/25/2022 MTPSC Meeting Materials
MOAB TAILINGS PROJECT STEERING COMMITTEE -- Proceedings
- MTPSC 7.27.21 Minutes_APPROVED
- MTPSC_04.27.21 Minutes_APPROVED
- MTPSC 01.26.21 Minutes_APPROVED
- UMTRA Status 01.26.2021
- MTPSC Agenda 01.26.2021
- MTPSC 180424 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 180123 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 171024 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 170725 Minutes Approved
- MTPSC 170427 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 170124 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 161025 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 160726 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 160426 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 160126 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 151027 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 150728 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 150428 Minutes APPROVED
- Y18 Council Report
- Project Review January 26, 2016
- MTPSC 180731 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 181023 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 190423 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 190723 Minutes APPROVED
- UMTRA Status 191029
- UMTRA Status 200128
- MTPSC 191029 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 190122 Minutes APPROVED
- The May 26 MTPSC Meetng Has Been Cancelled
- May 2020 UMTRA Project Update to MTPSC
- UMTRA Status 200526
- UMTRA Status 200728
- MTPSC 200128 Minutes APPROVED
- UMTRA Status 201027
- MTPSC 200728 Minutes APPROVED
- Cancer Incidence Study 2018 Update
SITE FUTURES COMMITTEE -- 2018 Update to Community Vision for Mill Site
- 18807 After the Pile Community Vison Update to County Council
- 2018 Community Vision Update to After the Pile July 31 2018
- After the Pile 180531 Open House Slides
- draft 2018 CV Update Timeline
- Development Constraints 180508
- Steering Com. and SFC Guidance Y18
- 2018 Site Futures Committee
- 180910 After the Pile Community Vision Update to City Council
SITE FUTURES COMMITTEE -- 2013-14 Initial Community Vision
- Is any of the Moab site open for public use?
- Is it safe to camp near the Moab site?
- Is it safe to raft down the Colorado River or ride my bicycle on Potash Road past the Moab site?
- Is the site open to the public for tours?
- The wind tends to blow frequently in the Moab area. Is the dust I see coming from the Moab site radioactive and is it harmful to breathe?