Moab UMTRA Project
Moab UMTRA Project
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has completed about 61% of a project to move 16 million tons of uranium tailings from the banks of the Colorado River, near the city of Moab, to a permanent disposal site 32 miles north, near Crescent Junction. This project is called the Moab Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action (UMTRA) Project.
Project Site Location
The Moab Tailings Project Site is located approximately 3 miles northwest of Moab in Grand County, Utah, and includes the former Atlas Minerals Corporation (Atlas) uranium-ore processing facility. The site is situated on the west bank of the Colorado River at the confluence with Moab Wash. The site encompasses 480 acres, of which approximately 130 acres is covered by the uranium mill tailings pile.
SITE FUTURES COMMITTEE -- 2018 Update to Community Vision for Mill Site
SITE FUTURES COMMITTEE -- 2013-14 Initial Community Vision
MOAB TAILINGS PROJECT STEERING COMMITTEE -- Proceedings
- Cancer Incidence Study 2018 Update
- MTPSC 180424 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 180123 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 171024 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 170725 Minutes Approved
- MTPSC 170427 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 170124 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 161025 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 160726 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 160426 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 160126 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 151027 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 150728 Minutes APPROVED
- MTPSC 150428 Minutes APPROVED
- Y18 Council Report
- Project Review January 26, 2016
- MTPSC 180731 APPROVED Minutes
- MTPSC 181023 APPROVED Minutes
- Approved Minutes MTPSC 190122
- MTPSC Agenda 190723
- MTPSC 190423 Minutes APPROVED
- UMTRA Status 1907rsac
- MTPSC 190723 Minutes UNAPPROVED
- Is any of the Moab site open for public use?
- Is it safe to camp near the Moab site?
- Is it safe to raft down the Colorado River or ride my bicycle on Potash Road past the Moab site?
- Is the site open to the public for tours?
- The wind tends to blow frequently in the Moab area. Is the dust I see coming from the Moab site radioactive and is it harmful to breathe?